The Fair Board Livestock Auction Committee will manage the annual Market Livestock Auctions at the Oakland County Fair.
Small Animal Auction:Friday July 13, 2018
Buyers’ Dinner begins at 5:00
Auction begins at 6:30
Large Animal Auction:Saturday, July 14, 2018
Buyers’ Dinner begins at 5:00
Auction begins at 6:30
- Exhibitors must be 8-19 years of age to enter market livestock exhibits and must follow each specific species rules in Departments 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14. .
- Animal must be shown in registered market classes in order to be sold at the auction.Any animal removed from the grounds for any reason (except those listed in the Fairbook) may not be sold at the auction in any fashion.
- Each exhibitor is required to sell their own animals in the auction unless the exhibitor is ill, or is a 4-H youth participating in a 4-H or youth approved event (with prior approval from the Rules Committee).Any helper(s) must be a youth registered in the Oakland County Fair as an exhibitor.
- Each exhibitor must personally get their animal to and from the sale ring according to the order in the sale catalog. An exhibitor may have assistance from other exhibitors or family.Your animal cannot be sold if you do not have your animal ready for the sale ring at the appropriate time.
- Auction exhibitors are required to dress in clean and appropriate clothing for the auction.Shirts should have sleeves and a collar or can be a 4-H Club T-shirt (tucked in).Pants or shirts should be long (neat and clean with no holes).No shorts or sandals will be allowed.
- Market Classes:An exhibitor may sell a maximum of two market beef, two prospect calves, two market lambs, two market hogs, and two meat goats in the auction that were shown in market classes.Poultry and rabbits shown in Market Classes will be sold at the Small Animal Auction.Refer to the Rabbit and Poultry Department areas for number of animals allowed.
- All animals will be sold on the basis of their weight at the time of weigh-in.All beef, sheep, swine, and goats that cross the scale at weigh in, unless deemed unmarketable by a judge or outside of the weight requirements, must be sold in the Large Animal Auction. Day of check in will be used to calculate minimum age and weight requirements.Only animals achieving the minimum age and weight requirements per species may be sold at the Market Livestock Auctions.
- It is the responsibility of the seller to observe all withdrawal times listed on labels of feed and medication.It is a violation of both Federal and State laws to sell an animal that may enter the food chain that has any residues or adulteration present.
- All Grand and Reserve Grand Champions must sell in the Market Livestock Auction.
- A commission of 5 percent will be collected from each large animal entry, and 8 percent from each small animal auction entry to cover the cost of the auction.Fees for trucking, photos, and check-offs will be deducted.
- The judges will be asked to determine the sale worthiness of all auction animals.However, the Fair Board Livestock Auction Committee will have final say on animals to sell, determination of sale order, and all other matters concerning the sale.
- The exhibitor must properly care for the animal sold at the auction for the remainder of the Fair.Failure to care for the animal following the auction will cause the exhibitor’s premium to be withheld by the 4-H Fair Association and the cost of such care will be deducted from the selling price.
- Only animals sold at the livestock auctions may be removed from the Fair early, all other animals must stay until release time on Sunday at 6:00 pm.
- The Oakland County 4-H Fair Association, or their auction committee, is in no case liable, or in no case will be considered or held negligent as a result of their participation in the Market Livestock Auction for the condition of animals, or any dispute that may take place between buyer and seller. If for any reason the sale of any animal or animals has to be cancelled at the Fair, the Oakland County 4-H Fair Association or the Auction Committee will not be responsible for all loss of income or reimbursement of expenses incurred to any exhibitor.
- A meeting will be called the 3rd Sunday of August at the Fairgrounds from2 pm-4 pm to distribute the seller’s checks. Check amounts will reflect all payments received from buyers.Any balance due will be paid to the seller when the buyers payments have been received and cleared. Sellers that have completed their thank you notes may pick up their checks at this meeting.Others who have completed their thank you notes can bring them (or mail them) to the Fair Office to pick up their checks after the meeting. Thank you notes sent or brought to the Fair office must be addressed to the buyer and stamped.If not, notes will be returned to the seller. Anyone who has not made arrangements to pick up their checks at the check meeting will have their checks mailed 60 days after the check meeting. A $10.00 fee will be assessed for any checks that are mailed 60 days after the check meeting. Any questions regarding payment should be directed to the Fair Office.A $5.00 fee will be assessed for thank you notes received in the Fair office for mailing without stamps and/orbeing addressed to buyers and stamped.
- Checks must be cashed within the 60 day period as listed on your check.If the check is not cashed, (for whatever reason-lost, washed, misplaced, etc.) there will be a $10.00 re-issue fee per check.
- Any animals donated back to the animal clubs or Fair will be resold at the end of auction.
- Any member that shows in another County’s event and sells in that livestock auction may not sell that same species in the Oakland County Market Livestock Auction, this excludes Michigan Livestock Expo. Example: If you show and sell sheep at the Livingston County Fair, you cannot sell sheep at the Oakland County Fair.You may show and sell other species at the Oakland County Fair.
- For the 2018 Fair, in order to sell at the auctions,exhibitors must be 8-19 years of age and will be expected to work prior to Fair on Fairground projects for 2 hours at scheduled work sessions.Check the web site, www.oakfair.org, for work bee dates and times.
- All market swine exhibitors must be PQA (Pork Quality Assurance) certified to participate in the livestock auction. Copy of PQA Certification should be presented at time of unloading animal(s). See Swine Superintendent if there is a problem before unloading.
- Auction Buyers:All payments are expected to be received within 2 weeks of the auction.Any payment not received within 30 days will be assessed a late fee of 1.5% per month.To be in good standing, previous year’s auction purchases need to be paid for by October 1st following the auction.Any family or entity not in good standing will be barred from participating as a buyer at future livestock and small animal auctions.
DIVISION 4:MARKET BEEF AND PROSPECT CALF
1.Beef must be in the owner’s possession by the first Saturday in January of the current year.Tagging will be done at the Fairgrounds from 9 AM-12 PM the first Saturday in January after January 1st of the current Fair year.
2.Weight classes will be determined after all animals have been weighed AT FAIR.
3.Each exhibitor may show and sell up to two beef.
4.All beef less than 950 lbs. and dairy beef less than 1,100 lbs. must show in class 110401 and cannot be sold in the livestock auction at the Fair.
5.Prospect Calves are to be in the owner’s possession by Discovery Day of the current year and will be tagged at Discovery Day.
6.Prospect Calves weighing over 500 lbs. or under 150 lbs. will be shown in Class 110406 and cannot be sold in the livestock auction.
7.Calves must be off medication according to label specification prior to Fair.
8.Each exhibitor can show and sell up to two Prospect Calves.
9.Castration is required and must be done at least 3 weeks prior to Fair.Proof must be supplied from veterinarian upon request
10.Animals shown in market classes cannot show in breed classes.
11.For Homegrown classes, a second animal entered by an exhibitor cannot place until all exhibitors first animal has been placed.
12.5-7-year-old exhibitors are not eligible to enter Division 4 classes.
Placing:1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid except for classes 110401 and 110406.Champion and Reserve Champion exhibitors and buyers receive banners.Home Grown Class Champion will receive a banner.Home Grown Class Reserve Champion will receive a rosette. Rate of Gain award is a first-place trophy only.
110401Market Beef -Not for Auction NOT TO BE SOLD AT LIVESTOCK AUCTION
110402Market Beef (Home Grown Beef may also be entered in this class)
110403Market Heifer (Home Grown Heifer may also be entered in this class) be entered in this class)
110406Prospect Calf-Not for Auction NOT TO BE SOLD AT LIVESTOCK AUCTION
110407Beef Prospect Calf (Home Grown Calf may also be entered in this class)
110408Dairy Prospect Calf (Home Grown Calf may also be entered in this class)
110409Prospect Calf Rate of Gain
110410Home Grown Market Beef or Heifer
Sponsored by John & Kelly Curtis
YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER
1st-$40.00, 2nd-$30.00, 3rd-$20.00, 4th-$10.00
110411 Home Grown Prospect Calf 1st-$40.00,2nd-$30.00, 3rd -$20.00, 4th-$10.00
110412Grand Champion and ReserveChampion Market Beef (from classes 110402, 110403 and 110410
110413Grand Champion and Reserve Champion Prospect Calf (from classes 110407, 110408 and 110411
110414Grand Champion and Reserve Champion Dairy Prospect Calf
DIVISION 6- MARKET LAMB
1.Weight classes will be determined after all animals have been weighed AT FAIR.
2.Market lambs must be under ownership by Discovery Day of the current year.
3.Exhibitor may show a maximum of 2 lambs.
4.The exhibitor may show 2 individual lambs which can then be shown as 1 pair.You must enter each individual lamb in class 6-I-3 and the pair in class 6-I-4 to participate.
5.Lambs weighing less than 90 pounds must be shown as feeder lambs and cannot be sold at the Livestock Auction.
6.Feeder lambs cannot be shown in the pair class.
7.Lambs must be fully shorn (no butt wool) within 5 days prior to weigh-in at Fair.
8.Complete castration is required for all wethers in the market class.
9.For Homegrown classes, a second animal entered by an exhibitor cannot place until all exhibitors first animal has been placed.
10.5-7 year old exhibitors are not eligible to enter Division 6 classes.
Placing: 1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid except for classes 6-I-1 and 6-A-2. Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion exhibitors and buyers will receive a banner. Homegrown receives a trophy and special placing rosettes.Rate of Gain award is a first-place trophy only.
110601Feeder Lambs (under 90 pounds) WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE LIVESTOCK AUCTION
110602Individual Market Lambs (Must enter class twice on entry form if you are showing two individual lambs)
110603Pair of Market Lambs
110604Home Grown Lamb - YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER
Recipient of the Daisy Hill Farm Recognition Trophy. Premiums are paid by The Daisy Hill Farm:1st-$50.00, 2nd-$40.00, 3rd-$30.00, 4th-$20.00, 5th-$15.00, 6th-$10.00.
Exhibitor/family must have their own USDA scrapie number to qualify for Home Grown Class.
110605Grand Champion and Reserve Champion Market Lamb
110606Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Pair of Lambs
110607Rate of Gain
DIVISION 8-MARKET GOATS
1. All goats entered in this class must be sold in Livestock Auction.
2. Market goats must be under ownership by Discovery Day of the current year.
3.Exhibitor is limited to two (2) goats in Livestock Auction.
4.Minimum weight for meat goat in market class is 50lbs.
5. 5-7 year old exhibitors are not eligible to enter Division 8 classes.
Placing:1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid except for class 110601.Champion and Reserve Champion exhibitors and buyers receive banners.
110801Feeder Goats:Under 50 lbs, will not be sold in the Livestock Auction.
110802Market Goats:All breeds must have milk
110803Home Grown Goat-YOU MUST PRE- REGISTER
Sponsored by Goodison Veterinary Center
Premiums:1st-$50.00, 2nd-$40.00, 3rd-$30.00, 4th-$20.00, 5th-$15.00, 6th-$10.00.
110804Rate of Gain-Award is a 1st place trophyonly.
110805Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Goat
DIVISION 10:MARKET HOG
1.Weight classes will be determined after all animals have been weighed at Check-In.
2.Each exhibitor may show and sell up to two hogs.
3.All hogs weighing less than 220 lbs. must show in class 111001 and cannot be sold in the livestock auction at the Fair.
4. 5-7 year old exhibitors are not eligible to enter Division 10 classes.
Placing:1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid except for classes 111001..
Division Champion and Reserve Champion exhibitors receive banners.Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion exhibitors and buyers will receive a banner.Rate of Gain award is a first place trophy only.
111001Feeder Hog (under 220 lbs.)WILL NOT BE SOLD AT LIVESTOCK AUCTION
111002Individual Market Hog (if you are exhibiting 2 hogs, you must enter this class twice on the entry form)
111003Home Grown Market Hog YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER1ST-$40.00, 2ND-$30.00, 3RD-20.00, 4TH-$10.00
111004Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Hog
The Grand Champion will receive the Ronald and Russell Hess Trophy
DIVISION 12:AUCTION FOWL
Placing:1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid except for class 111201. Champion and Reserve Grand Champion exhibitors and buyers will receive a banner.Additional banners will be awarded if sponsored by Discovery Day for these classes:111202, 111203, 111203, 111204, 111205 and 111206. Rate of Gain award is a first place trophy only.5-7-year-old competitive exhibitors are not eligible to enter classes in Division 12..
MARKET BIRD SHOWMANSHIP CLASSES:ENTER DIVISION 120106, 120107 OR 120108.
1.All birds that meet weight requirements will be sold at the Small Animal Auction.
2.All auction birds are subject to approval of the Superintendent and the Livestock Auction Committee.
3.Market birds will be weighed in at check-in.This is the weight that will be entered on the auction bill.No wet birds at weigh-in.
4.If an auction bird becomes sick, dies, or cannot stand after it has been weighed in and banded, you cannot replace it with another bird.
5.Each class may be entered once.
6.Age and weight of birds will be determined as of the date of check in.
Rules for Broiler Class/ Rate of Gain Contest Class 111202:
1.This class is only open to exhibitors who reserve/pick-up broilers on the required days, from the Fair.
2.Orders for birds will be taken at Discovery Day.Each exhibitor may order up to 6 birds and show any 3 of the 6 banded birds.
3. Exhibitors must pick up their birds on Saturday, May 25TH at Hamilton’s of Ortonville between 12-4 p.m. You must bring your own box, cage, etc. to transport the birds. The address of Hamilton’s is 465 Mill St., Ortonville, 48462. If birds are not picked up at this time, the exhibitor will forfeit the birds and the money paid. Buying and picking up birds does NOT enter you as an exhibitor in the Fair.An exhibitor MUST enter the Oakland County Fair and pay all exhibitor fees to exhibit.
4.All birds will be toe punched at pick up by superintendent.
5.Birds must be verified at Fair weigh in to show in market class.
6.The broilers must be healthy and able to walk.
7.Minimum weight at time of check in is 5 pounds per bird.
8.Birds will be weighed in one time at check in.Once the birds are weighed and sale banded there will be no re-weighing
111201Lightweight, not to be sold at auction
111202Broiler Class: 8 week old pen of 3
broilers-Minimum weight is 5 lbs. per
bird MUST BE BOUGHT PER RULES and will automatically be entered in the Rate of Gain Contest.
111203Roasters 9-13 week old-pen of 3 birds.
Minimum weight is 7 lbs. per bird.This class may be entered once.
Exhibitor must present proof of hatching date at time of weigh in.Birds with a hatch date beforeApril 6, 2018 will be disqualified at weigh in.No proof of hatch or purchase receipt at time of weigh in will result in disqualification.Any bird weighing less than 7 lbs. or more than 14 lbs. will be disqualified from the auction.
111204Turkey Roaster under 24 weeks over 15 lbs., pen of 1 bird.This class may be entered once.Birds with a hatch date before January 19, 2018 will be disqualified.
111205Ducks, pen of 3 birds under 6 months, minimum weight is 7 lbs. per bird; this class may be entered only once.Birds with a hatch date before January 19, 2018 will be disqualified.
111206Geese, pen of 3 birds under 6 months, minimum weight is 6 lbs. per bird; this class may be entered only once.Birds with a hatch date before January 19, 2018 will be disqualified.
111207Champion and Reserve Champion Auction-must be sold at auction.
111208Broiler Rate of Gain-DO NOT
PREREGISTER FOR THIS CLASS
DIVISION 14 - MARKET RABBITS
Placing:1 through 6, Ribbons.No Premiums Paid.Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion exhibitors and buyers will receive a banner. 5-7-year-old competitive exhibitors are not eligible to enter classes in Division 14.
1.All rabbits entered in a market class must be free from market disqualifications.
2.Exhibitor may enter a maximum of 6 entries in market classes, but may not exceed individual class limits.
3.Each exhibitor must fill out and submit a market animal information tag to the superintendent at check in.These will be attached to each cage or displayed in the rabbit barn during Fair.Fill out a market animal information tag for as many animals as you are showing in the market classes.
4.Age and weight of animal will be determined as of the date of check in.
5.Each exhibitor must provide their own equipment to get animal to and from the auction.
111401Meat Pen- Consists of three (3) rabbits over 49 days and fewer than 70 days old.All three (3) should be alike in color, markings, etc.Minimum weight is 3.5 pounds and maximum weight is 5.5 pounds per rabbit. Limit of two (2) entries per exhibitor.
111402Fryer– One (1) rabbit between 49 and 70 days old. Minimum weight is 3 pounds and maximum weight is 5 pounds.Limit of two (2) entries per exhibitor.
111403Roaster-One (1) rabbit over 70 days and under 6 months.Weight under eight (8) pounds. Limit of two (2) entries per exhibitor.
111404Stewer - One (1) rabbit over six months of age and weight 8.5 pounds or more.Limit of one (1) entry per exhibitor.
111405Champion and Reserve Champion Auction-must be sold at auction